Saturday, May 23, 2009

I am the unicorn

I have this picture hanging in my workout room. I look at it almost every day.



The first time I saw it, it made me incredibly sad for the rhino. No matter how much work she did, no matter how long she ran on that treadmill, she would never be a unicorn. I think the reason that it made me so sad was because it reminded me of myself. It reminded me of wanting to be something else so badly - instead of just making the best of who I was and what I had.

Don't misunderstand me - I am not saying that the rhino should not try to be better or improve. I am just saying that the picture she has hanging on her wall, of what she wants to become - should at least be a fabulous look rhino - instead of some unicorn that may not even exist.

Women, are the worst at looking at someone else and wishing they could look like that too. The goal should be to be the best YOU can be, not to look like someone else. We are so bombarded with images of how we should look - magazines, TV shows, movies. We see these beautiful, blemish free, thin, non-cellulite having, never a bad hair day, perfectly clothed, unchipped nail polished women. We see them and expect that its possible for us to also look that way....all the time.

It made me sad because I get up every morning at 4:30 and workout. I workout hard. I pay a lot of attention to how and what I eat. I do research, I am educated. I am at a healthy weight. Yet, more often that not, I don't like how I look. That makes me sad. I had the picture hanging up where I will see it everyday so it can serve as a reminder. A reminder, that I need to be the best I can be and that's it. I focus more on what my body can do and has done. I focus on being proud of my accomplishments and of my effort. I focus on being the best rhino I can be, instead of giving it everything I've got and then being disappointed because I'm not a unicorn. Because really..we are all unicorns in our own way.

No comments: