Friday, May 15, 2009

Good Grief

This week has been exhausting. seriously exhausting. Today was a rest day from my training, I got to sleep in about 45 minutes, then the pets were going nuts because we were off schedule. The cats were dying from hunger and the dogs were dying to pee. Thanks Guys.

This week, I have had the worst tension headache - the muscles in my shoulders, back and next have been So tight. I wanted to get through the workouts and see the dr before my rest day. I went to see Dr. May yesterday and he really worked out the knots. At one point, I believe he was standing on a chair, leaning over with his full body weight on his elbow, which was digging into my neck muscle. It took about 90 minutes, but he was able to get all those knots to release.

After the dr was done with me, I went into their bathroom and sat in a chair and tried to compose myself. All the tension and toxins in those knots were now flowing through my body. Wow, did I feel awful. I went back to work and felt progressively drained through out the day.

This morning I woke up with a headache and a twitching eye. The headache is gone, my body feels better and my eye is only twitching every now and then.

A friend asked me how I know when I'm pushing myself too hard. Here is the crazy thing...I am supposed to be pushing so hard that it feels too hard. Next week is a recovery week, so it will be much lighter. Then I"ll push again for three weeks, then recovery. The idea is to progressively improve.

I keep thinking that on the day of the 70.3 triathlon, at some point, I'll be tired and so I better prepare to push through that. Because it will be hard. So its only right that the training is hard. As Tom Hanks said in A League of Their Own "Its supposed to be hard, if it was easy, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great".

Tomorrow morning, Trevor and I will set out for a 2 hour bike ride. Followed by a 20 minute run. Sunday - a 9 mile run. Can't wait.

No comments: