Friday, November 26, 2010

Clark County Turkey Trot Race Report

We did this run last year in the POURING rain and think we said we wouldn't do it again. But....it takes place less than 2 miles from home and EVERYONE we know was doing it. You know what I say..."things that suck, suck less when done with friends".

It sucks because of the weather. Last year it poured, this year it was icy and COLD!!
This is a 5k/10k fun run, like most Turkey Trots. It takes place on the Salmon Creek Trail. This is a great running path and we run it ALL the time. I know it like the back of my hand and the miles always go by so fast because it is so familiar.

The run starts at 9, we got down there around 8:30. We got registered and tried to keep warm until start time. It was so weird - I know like 30 people who were doing it, but as of start time we had only seen like 2 people that we knew! Oh well, time to start came and off we went.

It was my goal to run this 10k faster than any other 10k ever. I usually just chug along at the same pace no matter what the distance. This means my 10k times are over an hour, which was starting to annoy me. I have been doing a lot of high intensity training with Trevor. He has an MMA fight on December 11th and has been spending a lot of time in the high heart rate zones. I've been joining him on the stair mill and think that has really helped with my turnover - how fast my strides are during my runs. I FEEL faster.

So, dispite the icy path, I ran as fast as I could go. I tried to find that place where it was tough, but I knew I could maintain it for 6.2 miles. I also focused on my form, I didn't want to be all out of control.

My times were right around 9:10 per mile, which is more than a minute faster than usual. It felt GOOD to push that hard.

Once people started reaching the turnaround and heading back, I started to see some familiar faces. That made me happy. I love seeing my friends out there! I finally saw Trevor, Doug and Trish. I got a hug from Doug and kept on running.

Before I knew it, I was looking at the mile 6 marker. Across the bridge and to the finish. I don't have an official time - they had some timing issues. I believe my time was right around 57 minutes and for me, that is HUGE. I was very proud of myself. Trevor was the only one who knew that was my goal and he was proud of me too!

Within a minute of finishing, I was FREEZING. The cold crept up on me and I was ready for a hot coffee. The trot was done, off to Starbucks for a latte, then home to clean up and head for Thanksgiving dinner.

The Thanksgiving day run is a great time to think about all the blessings in my life. I am thankful that I can do these things and thankful that I have such great people to do them with.

No comments: