Saturday, May 29, 2010

What do you say to taking chances...

These are lyrics from one of my favorite songs by Celine Dion...

"But what do you say to taking chances,
What do you say to jumping off the edge?
Never knowing if there's solid ground below
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say"

As a person who likes to be comfortable, I have taken quite a few risks in my life. I left home to go to college, I left my college town to take a job in a city where I knew no one doing something I didn't really know anything about. A year later, I picked up and moved 3000 miles to yet another place where I didn't know anyone. That brought me to Portland Oregon.

If you had told me growing up that I would ever be moving to Portland, Oregon, I would never have believed it. Was I scared? Hell yes. Did I wrestle with the decision? You bet. Have I ever wondered how things would have been if I didn't make these moves? Sometimes.

Then I look at the life I have now and honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. If I didn't have my life, I would be jealous of the person who did. I wouldn't have THIS life if I hadn't taken those chances.

14 years ago, I took a paycut to take a job that required me to work from 2 am to 10 am. Then I took on promotions into positions that were WAY over my head. Then I applied for jobs that I should never have gotten. Then I went on a blind date with a guy who I wasn't sure about. Then I moved in with said guy. Then I decided to run a marathon,when I had never run more than 4 miles. Then I applied for multiple jobs in a different part of my chosen industry and finally, after six tries got one of them. Then, we decided to open a business during a down ecomony. Next, I decided to train for a triathlon when I didn't even know how to swim (I learned).

Really, the list goes on and on and on. I am fortunate to live with a man who has followed a similiar path and isn't afraid of taking risks....he's not afraid of taking chances.

Last week, our friend Kris took a super big chance - she picked up her life here and moved to Washington DC. I know this was a big, scary step for her. And I am so envious. I am envious of the opportunity for a new start; the opportunity to build a new life, to chose a new path and to see what else is out there. Its like a new universe is unfolding for her and that is so incredibly cool. I give her so much credit for taking such a chance. And I know that her life is going to explode with good things because she was willing to take such a risk.

She's my #1 and I miss her. I miss knowing she is right around the corner. But I cannot wait to watch where this road leads her. The truth is that you can't become more than you are if you don't take a risk, if you don't dare to believe that there is something more out there waiting for you to come and get it. The really neat thing to me is that if I hadn't taken risks in my life, I would never have met Kris and I wouldn't be here to see her take this risk.

Way to go Kris. You inspire me. I get the chills when I think about all that awaits you. Its going to be so great. So, so great. And here is what Bon Jovi says about this (because he is the wisdom we all need) "who says you can't go home, there's only one place they call me one of their own". You will always be one of our own!

No comments: