Sunday, June 28, 2009

13 down, 7 to go

Holy crap. This has been a tough week. I don't think I ever recovered from the Sunday night triathlon. It really wiped me out! Then it was right back into a tough week of training. I had off work Monday, so that helped a little bit. Tuesday night we went to the pond and did our first official open water training swim. It really put my mind at ease after the tough swim in the river. My mental state had calmed a bit too and that helped.

We put on our wetsuits and got into the water. We took it nice and slow, enjoying the night and the calm, cool water. We swam about 1/2 mile and felt really good. After our river swim on Sunday I was feeling like all the time I spent in the pool had been a waste. After this swim I realized all that time had totally been worth it. My stroke was smooth and I was able to stay calm and breath. Practice is the name of the game and jumping into that river without practicing in the open water was not the best idea. Live and learn, right? I'm looking forward to our two or three open water swims each week leading up to the event in August.

Saturday morning, we went for a 44 mile bike ride - it took about three hours and was HILLY. I felt great. After the ride, I ran for 25 minutes and it was the best workout I've had thus far. The rest of the day, it was all I could do to stay upright. I wanted to sleep, badly.

Sunday morning we had a 10 mile run and it was hard. My body had not recovered from Saturdays workout and my stomach was all cramped up for about half of the run. But I got through it and that is what mattered to me.

So, Here is what the last week has been like:
2 hrs of swimming
5 hrs and 25 min of cycling
4 hrs and 25 mins of running
2 hrs of weights/ab workouts
for a grand total of 13 hours and 50 minutes.

This coming week will be a tough one too - Saturday is our longest ride - 4 hours. Whew. I'm ready for it!!!

No comments: