Saturday, July 30, 2011

The vet's advice.

Asha has been a part of our family for about 3 weeks now. On Fridays, she has been coming to work with me. That is a long day for us, too long to leave her home alone. The first two weeks, she was sick and had been up all night long either with a tummy ache or at the ER with a seizure. So, she slept pretty much all day. Yesterday, she came with me and did not sleep for more than about 20 minutes.

I don't know what the problem was, but Asha was restless all day long. I set her up in the bathroom with a bed and her toys. I spent as much time as I could with her, but she would just not settle down - that is unusual for her. She barked. Alot. Like most of the day. I was so frustrated, I didn't know what to do in order to calm her down.

We are right next door to a vet. I don't really like him, he's nice enough I guess, but he just seems like a dick. He'll pop his head in now and then to complain about the landlord or other tenants, but that's about it. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from him and we don't take our pets there.

I was in the bathroom with Asha and the vet next door came into the store. He saw Asha the last two weeks and asked about her. Today he said, "having some anxiety?" I said yes and told him how it was unusual, she normally just sleeps. He said he was doing a surgery and could hear her barking, it didn't bother him, but he heard her. He asked if he could see her. She smelled him as soon as he got near and went nuts! She LOVES new people.

Then, the vet proceeded to tell me what they do in his office when they have a dog in its kennel who won't stop barking. They sedate it, so he "doesn't lose his mind" or "disturb the neighbors". Then he went on and on about how I should get her on an anti-anxiety medication like prozac. Um....We've had this dog for three weeks, she's a puppy and I just got done telling you that this is unusual? And the part about sedating animals, I could have kicked him out of the store right then for that. He just ensured that we will never take our pets there.

I finally got Asha home and all was right with the world. I had mopped the bathroom floors the day before I brought her to work and I must have wiped away all smells that were familiar. I don't know what the problem was, but she slept soundly last night and this morning was up and back to her normal rambunctious self. No drugs required....

No comments: