Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What kind of world....

Lately, I've been wondering what kind of world we are living in today. Has everyone lost their minds? I see and hear so many things that give me pause, that make me wonder where we are headed and how much worse it can get before it gets better. I wonder how it has come to this and how much more of it can be tolerated.

I feel like people are willing to accept so much more than they should. I find myself living in a world full of violence and dishonesty, stupidity and cruelty, selfishness and greed. I am not saying I am perfect, far from it, but deep down I believe that I am always trying to do what is right. I want to be compassionate, loving, honest and of strong character.

We live in a world where politicians are constantly doing things that are corrupt, dishonest and stupid. Politicians on both sides of the spectrum. A world where professional athletes are treated like Gods. Where they can do anything they want to do and if they are good, really good at their sport, all is forgiven. A world where a black athlete can do unspeakable things to animals and his supporters can say that the only reason it upsets people is because he's black. A world where Micheal Vick's football jersey is a BEST SELLER? I have to believe that those people who support him do not know what he did. Because if they knew, really knew what he did and still supported him, it would be too much for me to bear.

I find myself living in a world where people stand in line and RUN to get a seat at the trial of Casey Anthony. Acting as if they were trying to get the best seat at a Michael Jackson concert. A world where there is non stop LIVE coverage of said trial. For our entertainment. As if the world has forgotten that a baby was murdered and dumped in the woods.

Its become a world where violence and sex are on every channel, all day long. Where video games are more graphic than any person should ever have to see in their lifetime, but people play them for fun. A world where Law and Order Special Victims Unit is entertainment. Nothing more fun than watching a show about rape, child molesting, murder. The movies "Jackass" are tops in the box office.

I look around and see a world full of people who say "everyone deserves a second change" and believe that makes them compassionate. Some people DO NOT deserve a second chance.

I see people propogating hate against others in the name of God. I see people protesting at the funerals of dead soldiers, saying that its God's Will. I see bullies, not just children, but adult bullies. I see them everywhere. I see them teaching it to their children. What a legacy. "My father was a bully, so was my father's father and his father before that".

I see a society of know it alls who take no responsibility for themselves or the mess they have created. A society of people who blame everyone else and who feel entitled to all kinds of things that they haven't earned.

A world where we feed ourselves and our children garbage, nutritionally void crap and say its our right to do what we want, as we watch disease and obesity skyrocket and healthcare become unaffordable and inadequate. It seems so obvious.

More and more often, I find myself shaking my head in disbelief at the things the people will say and do. I wonder how much lower people can go, how much worse it can get, how much more we can tolerate before it becomes unbearable. I wonder where I can go and what I can do to escape the constant barrage of the unbelievable. It makes me incredibly sad. Garbage in, garbage out.

No comments: