Friday, September 24, 2010

What has your body done for you?

Its been almost four weeks since Ironman. They say it takes a month to recover and I believe that is about right. I've been doing lots of yoga, running and taking spin class. I want to start lifting weights but am holding off until my arm is better, probably another few weeks. I need to get back in the pool and I need to get set up with some lessons.

I am finally at the point where I don't feel tired ALL the time. I am surprised that my eating has stayed under control. One of my fears was that after Ironman I would end up eating everything in sight and gaining a bunch of weight. I had that challenge after the Portland Marathon last year, I just ate and ate and ate. I gained about 8 pounds and could not seem to drop it. I don't want to do that this year, I'd like to stay close to where I am right now.

I have been thinking about how amazing it is that we did all the things we did over the last year to get ready for Ironman. I am shocked that I am feeling so good, that my body has not forsaken me and shut down (knock on wood). I have had a few aches and pains, a few tweaks here and there, but nothing major.

I remember, a few years ago, feeling like my body couldn't handle running more than 13 miles and that marathons were not in my future anymore. Wow. How wrong was I about that!! I have been thanking my body for being so good to me, for doing all the things I have asked it to do and for doing them without resistance.

I am so blessed to be able to do these things. I have not always been kind to my body, in fact, I have really been very mean to it. It has taken good care of me. When I hurt my elbow, I remember thinking that I would heal faster because I was in good shape. Its empowering to know that no matter what comes my way, I can handle it. My body can take just about anything. I am proud of that. So no matter the issues we've had in the past, I think we'll move forward, with a new understanding...perhaps a truce. At least for a while!

No comments: