Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ironman the day after and coming home

After I finished, we wanted around for a bit, got our official pictures taken, picked up our stuff and headed to the car. We had a drive home, a long, windy, dark drive home! I was so glad to arrive at our place. We unloaded our stuff. It was SO cold.

We were hungry and tired. Doug's family waited on us hand and foot! Brought us whatever we wanted. I had pasta and chicken, got up , brushed my teeth and went to bed. I didn't even shower and I went right to sleep.

I was relieved and for the first time in days, at peace. I believe the clock said 2 am.

The next morning we got up at 5 am and headed down to the village to get in line to purchase finisher's gear! Such a cruel trick from Ironman. The tent opens at 7 am. When we got there at 6:30, there was already a long line.

We were all tired and sore but really didn't feel so bad. Doug and I went to Starbucks and got some coffee. The line there was about as long as the merchandise tent line! There were also lines of people waiting to register for next year's Ironman. Lines everywhere!

We finally got into the merchandise tent after about 90 minutes of waiting. There was a lot of fun stuff. We spent some time shopping and surely got too much! We had decided that we would buy what we want and not worry about the cost. I didn't want to look back and wish I had gotten something.

We ended up with some good stuff. We each got two jackets, two running shirts, bike jerseys adn I got a visor. I love the visor. When we checked out, the girl gasped when she saw the total. I told her to not say the total out loud! Just give me the paper to sign!

We left there, had some food and then went to get our massages. We had signed up for massages on Saturday and were so glad we did. We laid in the grass and waited. That was one of my favorite times. Just laying in the sun. Here are my two guys.

We sat in the grass and listened the water. It was like an ocean again! We got so lucky on race day that the water was calm. It certainly could have gone the other day.

We had our massages, went to have breakfast and then headed back to the house. It was a great day, very relaxing. We sat on the couch and watched movies. We all slept for a bit. Then we had dinner and went to bed.

It was hard to believe that it was over. We were all sore and had a hard time going up and down the stairs, but overall, we were in pretty good shape. We spent the day sharing our experiences. Doug's family told us about their day. I think their long day as spectators was harder than our day as participants!! They were so amazing.

After a good nights sleep, we got up, had breakfast and hit the road for home. It was tough to sit in the car for 11 hours. By the time we made the turn into our neighborhood, I was so ready to be home. We pulled into driveway and this is what we saw.


What a way to end our journey.

No comments: