Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The last workout, well...not really....

This morning was our last workout before the half Ironman on Saturday. I always like the last workout before an event. It feels like the moment before the moment. Its a time to reflect upon all the workouts that lead up to it. This time, it was a time to reflect upon where we go from here.

It is still tough to wrap my mind around the idea that this half ironman on Saturday is just a step on the road to the full Ironman. Last year, the half was our final destination. This year, it is just part of the training. Just like all those marathons have been training runs, this will be a training day!

We swam this morning for 30 minutes. It was a good one. I am ready for two days off, that is for sure. We'll take tomorrow as a rest day, Friday will be our travel day and Saturday is THE day.
The weather is shaping up to be nice and sunny, that will be a change!!

I feel ready for the distance. We've swam the distance in open water three times in the last two weeks. We've bike more than the distance probably 4 or 5 times and we've run the distance about a thousand times! Two weeks ago, we had a long workout that was pretty close to the half iron distance. Its not as intimidating as before, but honestly, for me, every workout is intimidating.

I will spend some time in the next day or so doing some visualization, thinking about how I want Saturday to go, who I want to be that day. The thing I love most about these events is that it gives me the chance to really see what I am made of. I know its going to be great. I just know it.

Of course, our road to Ironman teammate, Doug, will be there too. Having Trevor and Doug out there with me makes the day much better. Its going to be so much FUN!

No comments: