Monday, May 28, 2012

All night long baby

Its no secret that since Asha joined our family, we aren't getting much sleep.  It wasn't so bad at first, then it got really bad, then it got a little better.  The last month we've been doing okay.  A normal night entails Asha sleeping until about 2 am, I get up and put her back to bed. Then she sleeps until about 4:30, I get up and go sleep with her on the couch until 5:30 when the rest of the family is ready to get up.  Some nights there are more wake ups, but never are there less.  Until last night.....

I woke up at 2:23 and listened carefully to see if I could hear little paws clicking on the hardwood floors.  I strained to hear...but nothing.  Instead, I heard Maggie breathing the heavy breathe of sleep.   And since she knew I was awake, I heard Daisy taking a bath on my pillow (we are convinced that she only does this when we are in bed and trying to sleep).  I went back to sleep and woke up at 5:31.  I again, listened closely to see if I could hear anything.  I could heard the faint chirping of birds and mistook it for Asha's collar jingling.  But it wasn' was just birds.

I laid in bed for a moment, mostly in disbelief.  Then I said to Trevor "I'm going to go check on Asha and make sure she isn't dead".  I walked downstairs almost afraid of what I would find.  I saw Asha, laying against the couch.  I quietly settled into the cushions on the other couch and looked closely to see if I she was breathing. I watched for the rise and fall of her chest.  She must have been dreaming because her paws started to twitch. I put my head down and just watched her.  My sweet little one, sleeping all night long.  For the first time in MONTHS.

After about 10 minutes, she lifted her head and stretched. I got up and moved to the couch she was leaning against.  She stood up, put her chin on the couch next to me and then jumped up with me, curled behind my knees and went back to sleep.    I didn't even want to go back to sleep.  I stretched out and just looked at her, so peaceful and calm.  She slept until 6, when the rest of the family got up.

I know it may not happen again for a long time, but I love that it happened this once.  We had a busy day yesterday. We went to the Farmer's Market and met lots of new friends. I know she was exhausted, but she's been exhausted before and hasn't slept through the night.    So while I am hopeful, I am also realistic.  I expect that tonight when I wake up at 2 am, I'll hear the clicking of paws and the jingling of a collar as my girl looks around and says "where's my mom?"

Here are some pictures from the market.  Her friend Victoria is doing a story about Asha for a photography class, so she joined up to take pictures of our Sissy.  Asha knows her and loves her.
We were meeting a new friend - Daisy Mae, a deaf Dalmation puppy.  Asha was exhausted before Daisy Mae even arrived.  Here she is waiting, with Mika, Victoria's dog who joined up.

Time for sleep?
This is Daisy Mae - she says "are there any dogs NOT sleeping around here??"
Yesterday was a great day.

1 comment:

Leana said...

Aw, congrats to Asha for sleeping through the night!