Monday, May 21, 2012

21 years

Time is a funny thing.  Something can seem so long ago and at the same time like it was just yesterday.  That must mean I am getting older.  I've heard it said that the minutes go slow but the years fly by.  That is so very true.

Yesterday I had the chance to meet up with a friend from high school.  I haven't seen her in 21 years.  If it weren't for facebook, I probably would never have seen her again.  A couple years ago we became friends on facebook and quickly began following each other's adventures.  She was one of my biggest fans while training for Ironman.  I remember receiving her text messages on the days leading up to and following this life changing event.  It was like we never lost touch, even though it had been more than 15 years.  

Krista was coming to Portland to run the Rock n Roll Half Marathon.  Trevor and I had breakfast with her and her friend afterwards.  When I saw her walking up to the restaurant, I felt like I was home.  We gave each other a long overdue hug. There have been so many times over the last couple years where I would have loved to hug her.  Difficult times, happy times...we've shared them all across the miles and I was so glad to finally get my arms around her.

There is something about the people who you grew up with, something about people from the place that will always be home.  Krista brought a little piece of Washington Township New Jersey with her.  That shared experience of a time and a place brings with it a connection that will always hold true.

We sat for a couple hours catching up on things and just talking. It was so comfortable, so amazingly fun.  I hadn't heard her voice in person since high school, but I hear it in every facebook post, message, email and text.  So I knew it by heart.  Like if I heard it in a crowd, I would know it was her.

I cannot believe it has been so many years because it feels like just yesterday we were playing soccer and softball together!  I am so glad we got to meet up, 3000 miles away from where it all started.  We are living in a different time and place but it felt much the same as all those years ago.  If I could go back to those days and know that so much time would pass before I saw her again, I would have hugged her tighter at graduation!

I am so proud of who she is now and the life she has created for herself. Krista is smart and funny, beautiful and kind.  I am envious of her sense of adventure and I look forward to seeing all the things she does in the future.  I hope its not 21 years until the next time we meet!!!


No comments: