Sunday, March 15, 2009

What a way to spend a Sunday morning!

Sunday is my only day off. I work 5 days a week at my full time job. Then I work the store on Saturdays while Trevor is at karate. About a month ago we changed our schedule so that Trevor and I would both have off on Sunday. The idea was to have a day of rest. Well, its been 4 weeks and I don't remember having a day of rest yet. The prospects for the future don't look very good either. Starting on April 5th, we'll be busy every Sunday morning coaching a marathon training group - that goes until October.

Today, we got out of bed at 6:30 - when you consider that I get up at 4:30 am during the week, this is actually sleeping in really late. We left the house at 7:30 to head downtown for the Shamrock run - we signed up for the 15K. When we left the house it was POURING rain. The clouds looked pretty scary, there didn't seem to be any hope of clearing.

We got downtown and headed to the start line. Our timing was pretty good, there wasn't too much standing around before the start. We got going and it was still pouring rain, in addition to that, the wind was blowing like crazy. Between the 5K walk, the 5K run, the 8K run and the 15K run I believe there were 19,000 people participating. We would go around a corner and I could see a ways ahead of me and was overwhelmed by the huge crowd of people running - in the driving rain and gale force winds. Only in Portland, is what I was thinking. 40 degrees, wind, rain and 19,000 people go for a run.

In addition to the weather being insane, the course was just about all uphill, into the wind! Trevor and I have been running every Sunday on a trail downtown and its all uphill - so we were prepared for this run. Around mile 8, my knee started to bother me, but I figured it would be okay, because 15k is only 9 miles, so I was almost done - until I got to the mile 9 marker and it wasn't the finish line....ummm....5k is 3.1 miles....10K is 6.2 miles....DAMNIT that means 15k is 9.3 miles, .3 miles to go!!! I slowed my pace a bit and tried to get on the flatest part of the road, that eased up a bit of the pulling in my knee and I crossed the finish line at 1:31. Yay.

Trevor was waiting for me at the finish - he had run it in something like 1:12. I'm not sure what happened to the fat man I married, but this guy I'm with now is really something - thin, lean and fast as all get out. We hustled back to the car because it was still raining and even colder because we were soaking wet.

We had a yummy breakfast and headed for home. The perfect way to spend a Sunday morning....right?

No comments: