Saturday, March 21, 2009

It is time....

Mike Goldberg, the announcer at all the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) on pay per view and Spike TV always says this:

"Fight fans - it is the moment we've all been waiting for...the main event"

That is what tonight is....The Main Event. Trevor has his fight - we've been waiting a long time for this. I'd say we've been waiting about two years. A while back we went to our first Rumble at the Roseland fight night. It was shortly after that Trevor came home one day and said, "I want to do a fight...like an actual fight". Okay. We thought it would be the beginning of last Summer, then it looked like Fall, then it looked like Winter, now it turned into Spring and it is here.

When Trevor first brought up the idea of a fight, he weighed about 240 pounds. We figured he could get down to the 205 weight class. He is fighting tonight at 185 and this morning weighed 185.8. He is in the best shape of his life and I believe he could not be more ready for this fight.

I believe this, even though I don't know. I have never seen him fight. Its just something he does and I don't know about it. This will be the first time he's fought in public - at an actual venue. He trains many hours per week and fights during that training. I have always believed it was best that I don't know what goes on at his training. He comes home bruised and beaten. It is just something he does. We don't talk too much about it.

It all started about 5 years ago, I bought him some private lessons and he went to class one hour per week. The hour turned into two hours, turned into four hours and now he teaches some classes and trains for about 15 hours a week. I didn't know it would turn into this when I bought those lessons. Those lessons changed our lives.

The people that Trevor does karate with are the most amazing people. I cannot say enough about them - they make us want to be better people and I think we are better people for knowing them. They are kind and generous. They are the kind of people who when you are around them you feel good. They never make me feel like less. I don't feel self conscious EVER when I am with them. I can be who I am and they accept me. They have taken Trevor to an entirely different level - mentally and physically and that has been good for both of us.

This journey has affected every part of our lives. It has given us the abilty to confront things that we might not have before. We can get through more and come out stronger than before. I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

That being said, I hope Trevor kicks this guys f-ing ass tonight. More than that, I hope he walks out of the ring, satisfied with his performance. Proud of himself, with no regrets. I hope he sleeps soundly knowing he left it all in the ring. That's all I can ask - win or lose. 7 pm. Rumble at the Roseland. I keep telling Trevor this qoute from Rocky: "All your power, all your strength, all your love, everything you've got....this is your whole life here"

Because this really IS the moment we've all been waiting for.

No comments: