Sunday, March 1, 2009

Baby you're much to fast....



Meet my little red corvette. Trevor and I have decided that our adventure for this summer with be the 1/2 Ironman 70.3 at Lake Stevens, WA on August 16th. Once we decided this, we knew that our mountain bikes would not be sufficient for this event. They did a great job for us on the sprint distance triathlons, but the idea of spending 4 hours on a bike gives us a reason to invest in a more smooth ride. And with my little red corvette the ride is so smooth it must be a limosine (that's from a Prince song from the 80's for those of you who don't get it).

What a difference a road bike makes, versus a mountain bike. Just riding it around the block on the test drive was shocking to me. It made me feel so professional!

Our official training for this event will begin at the end of March. From that point on, everything will revolve around our training. There will be a lot of swimming, bike riding and running. We will also be starting a marathon training program at the beginning of April. We originally wanted to be sponsors of the Vancouver Fit marathon training, somehow that turned into both of us being coaches for the program and thinking we actually want to do the marathon in October.

Those of you who have known me a while probably recall these words coming from my mouth many, many times "I never want to do another marathon". Well, as they say, 'never say never', because sometimes the crazy bug can bite you more than once.

I figure if I can fly 11 hours to China, poop in a hole in the ground for a week and sit on a bus for 4 hours before a 13.1 mile run on the Great Wall, 26.2 miles in Portland should be a piece of cake. Funny how things can change your perspective.

So that is our excitement for the week - new bikes and a decision to run a marathon. I wonder what next week has in store for us!!

No comments: