Sunday, March 22, 2009

"I did it"

Trevor had his fight last night and I have to say that I have never been more proud of anyone or anything in my entire life. I had the rare opportunity to watch someone pour themselves into something, a dream - to many people it was a crazy dream, but a dream all the same. I watched him commit to it with all his being. And last night I watched a dream accomplished.

I had not been nervous about the fight, as I said before, I hadn't really even thought about it. By the time he actually fought, I was sure I was going to need to head to the restroom and throw up. My God, I was so anxious. SO ANXIOUS. Trevor came into the ring and he looked so focused and ready. He did not appear nervous. He looked at me and we made eye contact. I shook my head as if to say - "this is it.", he shook his head back like he knew what I meant and then he blew me a kiss. I was so overwhelmed with emotion.

There were about 40 people, at least, there to see Trevor fight. His parents and brother, his niece, the people he trains with, people he used to work with, friends, friends of friends. It was nuts! The guy he was fighting looked pretty tough. The fight started and I was completely focused on Trevor's face - his eyes. I've seen fights where the guys will get so overwhelmed and you can see it in their eyes. I was watching for that look. I did not see it, during the entire fight, all I saw was focus. I was, however, so focused on his face that I didn't notice the repeated kicks to his knee and upper calf. At one point I was pretty sure his nose was broken. He was bleeding pretty badly from his face. He and his opponent were trading blows - back and forth and it was all stand up. They were taking it to each other. At one point I could tell Trevor had started to breath out his mouth, because he was bleeding so badly from his nose. I could also see in his eyes a look of almost frustration, like he knew he needed to end it and end it fast.

The ref stopped the fight 2:30 into the first round. He checked his nose and stopped the fight. I found out later that he had stopped it because Trevor couldn't put any weight on his left leg. I was sad that he had lost, but felt that he had given his all. I needed to see him, I needed to know how he felt about it - was he satisfied, was he disappointed? I had to know. It took about 20 minutes and then I saw his two corner guys and then the person sitting next to me pointed to Trevor. I got up and just about ran over to meet him - when he saw me he said "I did it", with the biggest smile I have ever seen. It makes me want to cry now, thinking about it. I will remember that moment my entire life.

I asked if his face was okay and he said yes, but his calf was so tight and I said, "From what". I have attached the video of the fight and when you see it, you will find it hard to believe that I did not notice that he was kicked in the leg. I was so intent on his eyes. I watched the video later and counted 9 kicks. Wow.

We hung around for a while and everyone we knew came over to tell Trevor how proud they were of him. People he didn't know came over and told him it was the best fight of the night. We found out after the fight that his opponent was being deployed to Iraq in two weeks. He was a great guy and very respectful, which I always believe makes a fight better.

After the fight we figured it would be a good idea to stop in at the emergency room and get the leg and nose checked out. That is a long story for another day. The end result is a possibly broken nose - the dr asked me if I thought it looked broken....ummm...??? and a cracked fibula. Trevor broke his fibula bone about three years ago in karate class. The funny thing (not haha funny, but interesting funny) is that when people asked me if I was worried about him getting hurt in this fight, I was like,"well, he already broke his leg, so I doubt he'll do that again". right. He has a soft cast up to his thigh and is on crutches. There'll be a follow up with an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow or early this week. God willing, it will be a quick healing, non-surgery requiring injury. I mean, we have a half ironman to train for. This whole experience has been amazing. I don't know what the future will bring for us, but I know that I am living my life with a partner who is not afraid to take chances and go after a dream. That makes life so much more interesting!


Nickname unavailable said...

WOW! Incredible fight Trevor! Tracy's BLOG entry was so correct...that cat was a kickin' fool to the left leg. Great jabs! Thanks for posting this and for being a motivation to 'Go For It'!

RosieC said...

Nice job Trevor, you maintained your focus and your attitude! I am proud to say you are my friend.