Thursday, April 7, 2011

I don't like change

I am a very regimented person. I have routines, I like things done in a certain way, all the time. I am a scheduler, a planner. When things don't go according to my plan, it upsets me. I am this way with food too. I plan out our meals in advance and we usually eat the same thing for days in a row. Luckily, Trevor doesn't mind this at all. We have very little variety.

My stomach is a constant problem. About 5 years ago, I had a food intolerance test done and found that I was intolerant to just about everything. I cut a lot of things out of my diet, which made it ever easier to have no variety in my diet. I have done okay for a while, but the last six months I have just felt crappy. My stomach is ALWAYS upset, I am always bloated and have frequent heartburn.

I went back to my doctor and had my test redone. The test showed that I have a serious problem with dairy. Whey, in particular, is an issue. The highest reading limit was 1500. Whey came in at 1492. I have whey protein in my oatmeal, every morning. Followed by whey protein in my pre workout, post workout and sometimes as a snack. Needless to say, my insides are a mess.

I tested medium to high on quite a few other things. My doctor recommened a cycle approach to my diet. This means that I eat completely different things every day. What? That makes my head hurt. I started eating like that this week. I am on day 4. I felt better for two days, yesterday I felt awful and today I feel okay. I guess it will take some time to settle in and for my insides to heal and actually feel good.

I realized there was a problem when I was in the Emergency room a while back with stomach pains. It took forever to see a dr (in fact, we never did, we left). When I checked in, I was at a 9 out of 10 on the pain scale. Trevor told me, several hours later, to tell him when I was at a 1 and we would leave. I told him that I am never at a 1. I live life around a 3 on the pain scale. I got to thinking about that and it just didn't seem right.

So, we are going to give this all a shot and see how I feel. I need to start backing off on the coffee, but I am REALLY holding on tight to that. One of the best parts of my day is my morning coffee....about half a pot of it. I think I was start to cut back on that, wean myself off it and see how that works. I figure the rest of my diet is mayhem right now, that one thing can ground me...right??? We'll see..

No comments: