Saturday, April 9, 2011

20 miles in a skirt!

Today was the last LONG run before the Eugene Marathon on May 1. 20 miles. For the 3rd time in the last 6 weeks. This training has been tough, really tough. But it also has been working. Today, I ran 20 miles at an average of 10:10 per mile. My plan called for 10:12, so I was a little fast. The route had some challenges, like a mile long hill from mile 17 to 18. I felt strong the entire time and I finished up at the same pace at which I started. I didn't start fast and slow down, I held a consistent pace.

Today was really the last day to test drive any gear before the marathon. Next week, I run 13, the following week I run 10 and then the marathon is here!!! Last week, I wore this black running skirt for 15 miles and had some chaffing issues. Today, I used body glide in all the appropriate places. I wasn't sure how it would go.

Getting out the door is the toughest part of my run. I needed to leave home by 7 am. I planned to leave at 6:30, but I was sitting on the couch, drinking my coffee while Trevor and all the dogs slept. I wanted to just lay down and sleep with them. But I didn't. I got dressed and off I went. Here is how I looked before...


And here is how I looked after...


There is a reason why my running friends call me "Sweaty". So embarassing...but Opal doesn't seem to mind (she is licking my salty leg!!)

I feel ready for the marathon. I have a very lofty goal for that day, I want to beat my previous marathon time by about 40 minutes. That is a lot of time. My previous best was 5 hours and 4 minutes. I am shooting for 4 hours and 22 minutes. May 1st....can't wait...

No comments: