Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Training

I am into the third week of my marathon training. Its a 16 week program and it is just as hard as I expected it would be. I have never trained like this and I'll be honest...it is hard. I do three runs per week: speed work, tempo run and a long run. I usually just go out and run. When training in the past, I have had a mileage plan. This is different. Its not just about putting in the miles, its about the quality of those miles. Sometimes that is more fun, sometimes it is not.

I get really anxious about things. I find myself stressing about a workout. I get obsessed with hitting an interval RIGHT ON, leaving little room for error. I am still having some issue with my pacing, which I believe is normal. I did some speed work on Monday that just about killed me. When I was done, I felt very proud of myself. I can also tell that it is working. Right now, my long runs are really slow. So slow, in fact, that I have a difficult time going slow enough.

I am much more in tune with my runs. This type of training really makes me focus on what I am doing. That is a good thing. I am really anxious to see how this ends up. May 1st is the Eugene Marathon and that is when all this training will be put to the test!!

In the meantime, I am realizing that it is good to do something different, to mix it up and step outside the normality of things. I guess that is the only way we grow.

No comments: