Wednesday, December 21, 2011

2011 Year in Review

I must be getting older because time just seems to keep increasing in speed. I do not know where it goes, it seems there is always something to look forward too and that makes the time go even faster. The hours go slow by the years fly by!!

Here are the highlights of 2011...

January:
I had a marathon PR to set this year and my training starting in January. There were some long runs in the cold. Lots of long, dark, lonely miles.

February:
I turned 37 on February 26th. On February 27th we held the 2nd annual Max Muscle Vancouver Half Marathon. It was SO cold that day. We grew the event this year and look forward to growing even more in 2012.

March:
We realized that our dog Opal was taking a turn for the worst and going downhill fast. In 2010, we lost our dog Wookie and our cat Gus to cancer. We were heartbroken to think that we would lose Opal too. So began the long talks about heaven and the 24 hour a day watch for any changes that could signal improvement. Those signs never came.

April: Running, running and more running. I also found the joys of the running skirt. Never thought I'd like it and was shocked when I realized that I did.

May:
I had a personal best marathon on May 1st - 4 hours and 23 minutes. Many said I couldn't do it. But I did. We went to Eugene that weekend. We were gone for one night. When we left, Opal was still able to use her back legs just a little, when we returned, she never walked again. On May 23rd, it was finally time to say goodbye. After three weeks of helping her walk and carrying her when she needed it, she told us she was ready to be with Gus and Wookie. This was devastating to us. We miss her terribly and her absence made us miss the other two even more.

June:
Our triathlon training kicked into high gear. We did lots of running, biking and swimming.
This was also the month of the Vancouver USA Marathon. I was the volunteer coordinator and that took up much of my time during the month.

July:
The Rev3 Half Ironman Triathlon was July 9th. I had a personal best time there at 6 hours and 23 minutes. Afterwards, we drove to the Humane Society where we picked up Asha, a 5 month old deaf/blind puppy who would forever change our world.

August:
Trevor and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary. Impossible to believe.

September:
Exhausted from the addition of Asha to our household, I spent most of this month sleeping on the floor with her at night to keep her calm.
We also had our second annual Triathlon and this year added a Duathlon. The event was a success and we look forward to doing it all again in 2012.

October:
The highlight of my year was a weekend trip in October to visit my Grammie in Florida. I love her so very much and being around her just makes me feel good. I need a dose of her and I sure got it!

November:
Thanksgiving - my parents came to visit for the first time in three years. They got to meet all the pets and we had a great time!

December:
Here we are, the end of another year. Time to reflect and look forward. Its been a year full of highs and lows - just like every other year. I am so grateful for all that I have and in 2012 really want to focus on all the blessings in my life. Its so easy to get bogged down in the crap. On that note. Happy New Year. Hopefully 2012 will be the best year yet!

No comments: