Monday, May 9, 2011

Damn you Dr. Oz


The last two weeks, people have been coming into the store asking for strange things I have never heard about before. They all are the same. They come into the store with a little notebook and pen. They are middle aged, overweight women and they say "Do you have Raspberry root, white bean extract or Konjac root?" Trevor has had several people asking for the same thing.

Come to find out that Dr Oz did a show last week on metabolism boosters. It was really aimed at women over 40. I got online and watched the show today and it made me want to beat the crap out of Dr. Oz. When he was on the Oprah Show, I think he did a lot of good. Now he has his own show and filling up an hour, 5 days a week, must be tough. To me, he's lost some credibility.
The show started by saying that once a women hits 40, all bets are off. You can't lose weight anymore, your hormones are a mess, you have no energy and so its not your fault that you are overweight.

Then, they interviewed some viewers who talked about their issues. One woman, who was about 50-100 pounds overweight, said when she was under 40, she could eat a lettuce only salad every day for lunch and lose weight. Now, she eats 20 salads a week and loses no weight.

In my opinion, this has nothing to do with being over 40. The idea that whenever she wanted to lose weight before, she ate nothing but lettuce indicates to me that she never learned to eat a healthy diet that would allow her to maintain her weight. And the fact that she eats lettuce 3 times a day and isn't losing weight doesn't scream hormone problem, it screams too few calories and no protein.

I am also really annoyed that Dr Oz would pull out these very uncommon supplements that are available NOWHERE and tell his audience that they are the answer to their problems.

When someone comes in looking for these things and I tell them we don't have it, I always tell them about our meal planning service and give them our brochure on a healthy diet and ask them what else they are doing. They usually look at me like "who the hell do you think you are? Dr Oz told me to get this stuff, you are no Dr. Oz". Dr Oz also suggests eating a healthy diet and exercising but I don't see these same people running out to do that.

Oh Dr Oz....what happened to you? You sold out. I guess it was inevitable.

No comments: