Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A day I never thought would come....

Debt. I think just about everyone has some sort of it. There are many debts that seem so overwhelming, like they will never be paid off. My student loan was one of those debts. I graduated college in 1996. I deferred my loan for several years (I wish I hadn't done that) until I felt that I was able to start paying it back.

Just over 10 years ago, I started making monthly payments. These payments were automatically debited from my bank account on the 7th of every month. It was a good chunk of money. I would always dream about the day, many years into the future, when those payments were done and that money was freed up. That day is today...I paid off my student loan.

I remember making that first payment and looking at the scheduled date of my last payment. I remember thinking that 2010 was about a million years away and that I would be SO OLD when that time came!

Looking back, I think that incurring this kind of debt was not the right thing to do. I wouldn't change it now because if I had gone to a different college, the course of my life would have changed and I really love my life. However, I think I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a college education that I could have gotten for far less of an investment. Education doesn't need to put anyone into 15 years of debt, especially not a liberal arts degree in Communication and Psychology. Maybe Astro Physics or Engineering.

All the same, I feel like a weight has been lifted, a milestone has been met. I can't wait to spend that money other places!

No comments: