Thursday, October 21, 2010

A familiar route

We are running the Columbia Gorge Marathon on Sunday. Today was my last workout day before then. I did some weights, still working on getting my range of motion back in my elbow, then some abs and then ran about 4 miles.

I have a route that I run two times a week. It goes across the street and through a neighborhood. I have probably run all or a portion of that route about 500 times. When I ran at 5 am, I liked it because the streets were well lit, no traffic and lots of houses. I like it now because it is comfortable and familiar. Its a 4 mile route that I can add on to and make any distance I want.

For some reason, I especially like this route on the last day before an event. I tend to reflect on things more. I don't know why that is, but I always look forward to that "last run". If and when we ever move from this house, I will probably cry all the way through the last run on that route.

I watch the seasons change and the years pass on this route. Right now, the leaves are changing and I love the colors. There is one lilac bush that I really love. At the first bloom in the Spring, it makes me so happy. Then, when I notice it is turning brown, I always say goodbye to it - "until next year" is what I always say.

As I was running today, I could see all the seasons....the heat of the early morning summer runs, the smell of the flowers blooming and the first mowings of the spring, the dark, wetness of the winter and the turning leaves of the fall. Last year, I ran on Christmas morning and saw the most amazing sunrise.

Everyone runs for their own reason. I find myself completely relaxed when I am running. I feel lucky that I love to exercise, that I feel most alive when I am moving my body. I know most people hate to workout. Not me, I think of how I would never see all that beauty if I wasn't out running.

2 comments:

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Gus is now with all of the wonderful furry ones (and slimy ones) that were once a part of so many lives. I never grieved over the loss of my dog Misty and I think because of it, I am emotionally attached to campy (more than I should be). I understand where you are coming from and I hope that writing on your blog is an avenue to reflect and release feelings. Keep enjoying life because you only get one..make the most of it!

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

I am sorry about your loss. Gus is in a great place with so many furry (and slimy) friends. I never grieved over the loss of my dog Misty who had bladder cancer and I think that is the reason why I am so emotionally attached to Campy. I know that it is hard but perhaps your blog is a the perfect way to reflect and release feelings. Hang in there and keep enjoying life. You only get one so make the most of it!