Saturday, July 19, 2008

Everyday is an adventure

Starting a business. This statement can mean many things to many people. Unless you have actually done it - started a business - I don't think you can truly understand what it means. This process that began for me and Trevor back in January has been eye opening. Scary - exciting - frustrating - maddening. We have pushed through the hardest things and are now getting to the fun (I hope). On Monday the construction will start on the store. We have set our opening date for Monday, August 25th - this will be the day the store opens its doors. We'll have a grand opening event sometime in Sept or early Oct. Right now, we just want to be open for business.

We've started our marketing - Trevor has been out talking to people and distributing magazines. We have decided that I will be the Advertising Director and I have been working on newspaper ads. We have our business cards, our T-shirts. We have sponsorship of events set up. Everyone we talk to is excited for the store to open. We have 5 weeks to drum up the excitement so we can hit the ground running.

We decided a few weeks ago that we want to do a triathlon. Because running isn't enough. We have to take it from land to sea. This is a minor problem for me, because I don't swim. Well, I guess I do now - I took swim lessons a few months ago and have been working up to it. The first time I swam a lap in the pool - I looked at Trevor - who was easily swimming laps in the lane next to me (Why is he better at everything?!) and I told him that one lap was harder than the entire 13 mile run on the Great Wall. And I meant it. Its still hard, yesterday I swam 8 continuous laps - two times in a row. This is progress. Our first event will be on August 2. Trevor will do the sprint distance - which is a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride, 3 mile run. I will do the novice which is a 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride and 3 mile run.

We have been having our own little triathlons on Sunday - we go to the gym and swim, then ride our bikes and run. During these I have found one thing that I am actually better at than Trevor - riding a bike. I have been doing it all winter long - I set my bike up on a trainer so I can ride inside. Trevor hasn't ridden a bike in years. Sadly for me, in another few months, he'll be better at this too - for now, I excel and that's good. I figure that any time he beats me on the swim, I'll make up on the bike ride - so we should finish about the same time - if I don't drowned during the swim.

So we have been spending ALOT of time working out to get ready. Oh, I almost forgot, Trevor has been planning all year to do an amateur fight. One of his goals at the beginning of the year was to do that and he is hoping to have that fight in Sept or Oct.

With all of this going on - everyday is an adventure around our house. You just never know what the day will bring.

No comments: